Eagles optimistic Darren Sproles will play this season
- Bears QB Trubisky doubtful to face Lions
- Mariota improving, status still unclear
- Darnold suits up but sits Jets' practice
- Carr doesn't want Raiders picking first
- Falcons LB Jones won't return vs. Saints
PHILADELPHIA (AP) Eagles coach Doug Pederson says he optimistic running back Darren Sproles will play again this season despite suffering a setback with his hamstring injury.
Sproles returned to practice on Wednesday after missing the previous seven games but re-injured his hamstring and won't play against the Cowboys on Sunday night. Pederson wouldn't say who will return punts in place of Sproles.
The team released DeAndre Carter, who handled those duties, on Tuesday.
The 35-year-old Sproles tore his ACL and broke his arm on the same play last September and missed the rest of the season. He was hoping to play one more season.
More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP-NFL
Updated November 9, 2018